The Antilogy of Your Story
by Richard Brooke
by Richard Brooke
Antilogy is an opposition in thoughts, views, statements, and/or words. (noun)
An example of an antilogy is the word “clip” which on one hand can mean “bring together” as in a hair clip or barrette, and on the other hand it can also mean “to separate” as in clip hair with scissors.
This is a message about enrolling others, about your expectations for them and about how you position the opportunity in their mind and heart. What you have accomplished is ten times more believable than any video or brochure. Create it. Use it. Your story is their story.
And your story is critically important. Here’s why: Your story is your evidence that your opportunity works up until the day you are telling it. If you have been involved for two weeks, then your story is two weeks’ worth … then two months or two years and so on. Your story is the most powerful evidence you have that what you are telling someone else they can do, can actually be done.
Your first month, your first 90 days and your first year are the most important pieces. And they stay with you throughout your career. Ten years from now you will be telling your first month story and it will be pivotal in the belief and pace with which your new enrollees get started.
If you sit around and analyze the plan or spend weeks getting organized, your first month and your first 90 days will inspire no one. In fact, they will tend to do what you did – stretching what could be a three to four year incredible, residual income career into one taking 14 years.
How fast you get started and what you accomplish in those first three timeframes will become your greatest recruiting and motivational asset. Don’t blow it. Don’t think about it. Trust it and swing for the fences.
And now comes the Antilogy:
Your story is not their story.
A story tells it best. When you enrolled in your opportunity, here are some factors that perhaps were present:
- The company was Young and Dumb. In fact, that was their name: YBS – Why Be Successful.
- The best tools were not even available yet.
- Your sponsor was just as new as you … as was their sponsor. In fact, you had to go upline multiple slots to find anyone that really knew how to do this.
- There were no local meetings.
- Attendance at even the national meetings was low … embarrassingly low.
- The product you started with was not the company’s best foot forward … in fact, although YOU loved it … most of your customers did not stick to it.
- Young and Dumb had embarrassing back orders.
- Young and Dumb started with what you thought was going to be a dream management team only to have some of them quit or be replaced. You didn’t realize that is how businesses have to be run … like a business.
- YOU screwed up your first 30 days or your first 90 days or your first year or maybe all three. You didn’t launch with reckless abandon. You were more concerned with what people would think of you or doing it perfectly so you didn’t really kick it. You played with it when you needed to crush it.
- Out of the 18 months you have been “trying” to make it happen, you can only swear to three consecutive weeks of playing full out. Ok … you can swear to six weeks but the three week stints were nine months apart.
Now you are sitting with yet another incredible prospect. Maybe you have a powerful story to use as your most effective belief builder. If you do, make your story their story. Maybe you don’t. If you don’t, make your story NOT their story. And here’s how:
At this point in the game … today when your newest prospect is sitting in front of you, the game he or she is about to play is NOT the same game you played. It is NOT. NOT even remotely. The game has changed. Maybe not 100% but look how much of it could have already changed:
- YBS wisely changed their name to URS – You Are Successful.
- You now have incredible tools.
- You, their sponsor, have 18 months of incredibly valuable experience as does your sponsor and your upline. You have a swat team of leaders to support this new person’s build.
- There are now great local meetings.
- National meeting attendance is inspiring.
- Constant product improvements have made selling, enrolling and retention 10 times easier.
- There has not been a backorder in forever.
- It appears the current management team IS the dream team … but don’t count on that one. Prep your newbie for change. Tell them you are like a super bowl contending team. YOU will keep replacing management and key players until it all clicks and goes BOOM!
- You cannot change your history, but you can turn it into lemonade with a history lesson. Tell the truth about how you botched your launch if you did. Tell them how much it has and will always cost you. And most importantly, tell them when you changed to full tilt boogie mode and how committed you are to staying in it. Beg them to not make the same mistakes.
- Show them the penny doubling a day chart. At day 31, a penny is worth over $5 million dollars just doubled EVERY DAY. Show them how much it is worth if you double it every other day or two days a week or for a week … then ‘penny funk’ for a week then doubling again. Show them what it is worth if you double it “whenever you feel like it.” It is not worth over a few hundred dollars.
Lead them to play full out for at least 90 days, six days a week. Then they can coast for a few weeks so they can hit it for 90 days again. Again and again … 90 day runs until they are earning more money than they ever thought possible … more than even you thought possible. For them that might be $5,000 a month or maybe $50,000. They can get off the train anytime they want … when they have created enough freedom and fun to fit their vision and values.
The lesson here is don’t sell their dreams short … don’t sell them short by toying with your own first month, 90 days or one year. But if you do … and most of us do, don’t sell them short by mapping out their outcome to your expectations of them. Just because you have been at it for 18 months earning $1,800 does not mean you should expect the same for them. You should expect them to be at $18,000 given the wisdom and experience you bring to the party and given the challenges you fought through that are all smoothed out for them.
Expect Them To Win – ET2W
Check out my latest book, The Four Year Career, that shows how a Residual Income can be worth millions in Asset Value. It is also available in ebook format at Amazon.com & iTunes.