The battle of detoxification occurs in two key phases:
- The transformation of toxic enemy forces invading the liver into secondary substances.
- The neutralization or elimination of these substances through the lungs, intestines, skin, or urine.
- Metabolizing carbohydrates, fats, and proteins
- Storing substances such as glycogen and fat-soluble vitamins
- Manufacturing 13,000 different chemicals
- Maintaining 2,000 enzyme systems
- Filtering 100 gallons of blood daily
- Producing 1 quart of bile daily
It’s no surprise that without a liver, we wouldn’t survive. These are all responsibilities that only the most capable of warriors are willing to take on. At least your liver is up to the challenge.
Keep in mind that the liver may be the most resilient organ in the body, but it was built this way because of how critical it is to maintain our lives. While this gladiator may seem untouchable, it’s a good idea to recognize that the liver is vulnerable to attack. Perhaps these signs might help you identify whether or not your liver is firing on all cylinders:
- Poor skin tone
- Yellow-coated tongue
- Dark circles under they eyes
- Itchy skin
- Excessive sweating
If you’re suffering from any of these symptoms, it’s possible your liver is a little worn out. However, the resiliency of the liver is absolutely mind-blowing, and its ability to bounce back and continue functioning is truly amazing. A wounded liver is still an effective one, as it has six detoxification pathways of its own. Because of this, your liver is able to carry on fighting. Life goes on and the battle continues…